Monday, June 6, 2011

I'm Secretly a Bad Person

Listen to Jackie Greene's "Call Me, Corinna" as you read this. The lyrics don't make sense, but the mood does. It makes it seem like a movie soundtrack.


I'm shallow. I'm jealous. I know.
My newsfeed is flooded with pictures. Happy people, pretty people. Cheesy poses, cheesy smiles. Fist pumps, laughing. Sunglasses and inside jokes. Sequined purses and coach buses. Juniors. Seniors. Sophomores? Freshmen? College students. Lovers. Friends. Pity dates.

It didn't bother me. Not during planning, or when people started asking. I'd never thought I'd go. But then, sophomores went. Freshmen? Intricate plans to take entire social circles formed. My best friend. People out of high school. And still, not me. Never me.

Which, even then, didn't bother me. Until I realized it would never be me in those pictures. I'm leaving. And even then, this last hurrah with all of my friends, I spent at home. I won't be missed, I'm not sure I was ever there in the beginning. There will be no last hurrah. No going-away party. I'll be out of their lives, none of us any wiser for it.

14 comments:

  1. i am too. i see all those pictures, too. and i cant help but thinking why im not in them, too. youre not alone. in fact, you never will be. you can come to prom, ill make sure it happens.

    <3 you,
    i will not stand in the closet for the rest of class

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't you worry, people will miss you when you leave. you've been too good to too many people to be so easily forgotten. and i'd fight the anonymous above me for prom-taking rights

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE YOU SO MUCH AND WILL MISS YOU EVERYDAY ALLL DAY. i went to prom and its really not a big deal unless you have someone to grind with. and you wil go to prom and i would fight to take you to prom but i am younger than you so it won't really work,and if no one else is going to i will throw you the biggest going away party and your not going far so you can still see all your friends! <3 emily

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'M GOING TO MISS YOU, REAGAM. I MISS YOU EVERY DAY. (I actually do.) But really, prom isn't that big of a deal... Like emily said.
    So...

    Don't you fret
    Mademoiselle Henke,
    I don't feel any pain...
    A little fall of rain
    Could hardly hurt me now.
    You're here.
    That's all I need to know!

    I don't know WHY I did that, but I thought you'd like it. I ruv you Reagamm! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i will miss you so much
    don't leave us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll ask you to prom next year ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. IIIIII will throw you a partaaay

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful post,
    and I just wanted to say that you're not the only person in the galaxy that didn't get invited to prom.. I didn't.
    So don't worry because you're not alone, and honestly you never will be, it's impossible. Also, you're not dying, you're going to a school a few miles away. You will be missed in everyday life, that's true, but just think of how LUCKY you are HOW LUCKY YOU ARE to have such a FANTASTIC opportunity! THINK of the poor girls in Africa who will never know anything beyond a small village, hardly ever eat, and have no shoes... You are SO lucky that you are able to get a 30,000 dollar a year education at a great school, because that's more than so many people have. You're going to love it there, guaranteed. And I promise you won't be forgotten. You'll be about 10 minutes away.
    Well... You always were a drama queen ;)
    <3
    A Friend

    ReplyDelete
  9. "The best kind of life is a journey that takes you many places, for if you always stay the same, how will you grow?"

    Calm down. You'll be fine. promise.
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. believe me, so many people are going to miss you <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. are you in all seriousness complaining about not being asked to prom as a sophomore. oh dear..

    ReplyDelete

say whatever strikes your fancy, but please, respectfully.