Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Way You Wear Your Hat

“Insist upon yourself. Be original.”-Ralph Waldo Emerson- American Poet

I was shopping at the mall this weekend when I came across a black hat. Not just any hat, a big, floppy, 1930's style that looked like it was made of felt. Now when you see something out of the ordinary like that, how can you just walk by? I couldn't. So I put it on.

I admit that I felt very out of place, detached from reality, standing in the middle of a store with this big hat on, and standing between a tall girl trying on red stilettos and another checking a price tag on lingerie, but the hat was perfect. It reflected my personality, my soul, my being. Old-fashioned, out of style, falling about like it couldn't decide on what to be. Sort of a misfit. Especially being so modest and being between sexy shoes and lingerie.

I left it on, and continued shopping. Right before I checked out, I passed the hat rack. In a sudden change of heart, I threw the hat back on the rack, embarrassed. What was I thinking? The 1930's were over.Where would I ever had worn it? I couldn't believe I'd let myself even try it on. I set the shirt I was buying on the counter, and the boy behind the register stared at me. "You're not getting the hat? It looked great on you. And that style doesn't look good on just anyone." His face was teasing, but in his eyes was something else. Disappointment? Suddenly, I felt the same. Disappointed in myself. And I learned something most people never seem to learn. Not to be afraid to be yourself. Sounds simple. But it's never easy. We're always afraid of being judged. So I ask you all. Be yourself.

Needless to say, I bought the hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

say whatever strikes your fancy, but please, respectfully.