Wednesday, October 14, 2009

C-

Dear Reader,

If we truly learn from our mistakes, then we should all have learned, correct?
Evidently not, as I make more mistakes then anyone, and yet I don't seem to learn anything from them. Our essays were graded today, dear reader. C-. She gave me a C-.


I do not lack in language, no, my "language is effective and rich". Nor is it mechanics, as I had "few errors" and "effective paragraphing". She told me, dear reader, that the structure of my writing was "sophisticated". But there, dear reader, is where the success ended.


My style lacked proper sense of audience or purpose. This, dear reader, explains why I am addressing you now, simply to bring out the irony of this accusation. My organization was "awkward" as well, and my focus "limited". However, dear reader, her most painful accusations were the following. I "lacked original ideas", had "little insight", and my voice was "awkward". Do you agree, dear reader?


Overall, I was simply "effective". Simply borderline. This, dear reader, is not good enough. I write to show, to tell, to teach, to learn. I write to free myself, to spill my soul all over the world. I write to capture thoughts, to put together pieces and find truth and meaning in life. Writing allows us to speak directly to a person's soul, which would not be possible otherwise. It's the reason for this blog, dear reader, and yet, I am only a C-.


In frustration, I ask you, how many more mistakes must I make before I can learn? How much more must I talk before I find my voice? How much more must I think before I can think for myself? How much more must I look before I can find profound insights? I ask you, reader, how much more? The answer, dear reader, does not exist. For people too often look at the world in the wrong way. Saying "I am learn from my mistakes" implies that there is a period for which I learn, and when that ends, I will know, and I will no longer make mistakes. This is not true. I will forever be learning, and even after I have learned, I will still be learning and making mistakes.

She is wrong, dear reader, for I already have a already learned some. My style may be weak, it may be cliche and awkward, but I am speaking to you now, am I not?

No comments:

Post a Comment

say whatever strikes your fancy, but please, respectfully.