Wednesday, November 10, 2010

To Those Who Give Second Chances

To those who give second chances,

Do you hate yourselves as much as I hate myself right now? Do you beat yourselves up and bite your lips to keep from crying? Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I write this in realization that I'm one of you. That I give second chances. That I'm moronic for doing so.
People do not change. They may promise to, and plead forgiveness, but they do not change. It is impossible to change who you are. Our essences, our beings, are unalterable. And some people hurt others, and will continue to do so, no matter how many chances they are given.

Perhaps it feels worse, to be hurt the second time, subjected to the preceding pain all over again, all whilst knowing that it's our own fault, for trusting someone so hurtful again. After all, insanity is said to be doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

But you, dear reader, you are not insane, nor stupid, nor to blame for giving second chances. No, dear reader. You are brave. You are marvelously brave. Trusting and being hurt is part of being human. We must accept those who deserve no chances at all, cherish the lessons they can teach you. Without trust, dear reader, you have nothing. It's the foundation for all interaction.
Thousands of people will go through life without trusting. Without loving. They haven't lived, they're scared to.
Trust, love, it's a marvelous and magical thing. You're lucky, reader, for being able to give second chances. Do not hate yourself. Do not regret. There may only be a handful of people you'll ever be able to trust completely who deserve it, love them for it, but there are many people who you owe your trust to for no reason other than to learn something.

Trust me.

3 comments:

say whatever strikes your fancy, but please, respectfully.