Tuesday, October 4, 2011

I Decided

It was a bad day sort of day. There was a general tetchiness, as though unhappiness had wedged into every nook and cranny it could find. Rainy greys left campus under the weather. But I had decided to have a good day.

Leaving class, I checked my phone, and realized I was late, and missing the test I had next period. I turned back into the room I had barely left.
"Um, can I have a late pass?"
"You're not late, class was just dismissed."
"It's 1:30."
There was a moment of pause, a testy disbelief at being challenged, and suddenly,
"Oh, my watch is running late! I'm sorry, here," and a pass was scribbled.

As I trekked across campus, water seeped from the dewy grass into my shoes, and the rain started again. I stopped walking, and squinted up at the sky, rippled and tempestuous. With a crack, it ripped open, and rain spilled out. Futilely, I pulled the collar of my jacket up and began walking again, wishing for the umbrella in my locker. It suddenly struck me that I was the only one outside, even if it was just briefly, while everyone else was safe and dry. Safe and dry maybe, but they weren't happy. A bit of surprise came with the realization that I was happy. I'd decided to have a good day, and I was going to take it as such. Slowly, I stretched out my arms as I walked, letting the rain splash against my jacket and skipped light-footedly over deep mud. I reveled in the squelching sounds of water and the freedom and independence of my tardiness. The puddles became noble rivers, the rain a glorious revival, and the greys shimmered in silvers.
And it was a good day.

1 comment:

  1. the funnier thing, i had the same exact moment the other day (the same day to which you are referring) and i went through the motions, never thinking about what any of this meant to me. i suppose everyone had the same feelings that day, trying to make the best out of such a miserable afternoon but ill bet no one would ever think to examine such a moment, spectacular.

    ReplyDelete

say whatever strikes your fancy, but please, respectfully.