Sunday, January 23, 2011

Weight

A week ago, I had the most perfect, loving boyfriend in the world. I could do the splits and hit a high A. I ran a mile nearly every day. I lost 4 pounds. I had promising auditions, and wonderful recommendation letters. I was confident. I was in control.

This week, I got dumped. I tore a muscle. I can't stretch, and I stopped running. My voice cracked, and I have to learn 5 new pieces for auditions in different languages. I stumble over every obstacle, overwhelmed by what feels endless. Walking down the halls in school, I feel heavy, plodding, slouching. I brace myself outside the classroom. Breathing deeply, I close my eyes, and try to smile. I cannot. My face feels heavy, pulling down on the corners of my mouth, and smiling is an effort I can't seem to come up with. I push through the incredible weight of the rest of the day.

Home again, I retire to my bedroom, and curl up in the rocking chair in the corner. My fingers trace the fading pick hearts painted on the armrests and follow the winding designs to the words on the sides. It was a present from my sisters. In their colorful handwriting, it says happy birthday, and goes on to remind me that even when the worlds turned against me, to sit and remember, that I'll always have them.

Rocking back and forth, I feel comforted. And I smile, nearly weightless.

7 comments:

  1. don't worry it gets worse. I PROMISE

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...thanks, Anonymous. That's really uplifting, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm trying to think of some sort of inspirational message to say.. but I can't so I'll I'm going to say is that i love you so much and really want things to get better for you because you deserve it more than you know.

    love- Emily

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always here for you Reagie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Remember, every hurdle makes you stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7heX95uzJ4I&feature=related (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. reags you are an amazing girl and you have so much talent and so much to look forward to in your life. you dont need a guy to make you happy because you know who you are and youre a fantastic person. i love you and im always here for you.
    <3 matzah ball

    ReplyDelete

say whatever strikes your fancy, but please, respectfully.