Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11

     In an old notebook of mine, I found a scribble, a quick note of a flag I'd passed on the highway once. It grabbed me enough to mark it on paper, but I couldn't remember what grabbed me about it until today. It's a tall flagpole, set on the top of a dark cliff that towers on the side of highway. The rocky top leaves it strangely alone, without trees or shrubbery. I wrote when there was snow settled on the ground, making a stark greyscale against the softly faded reds and blues. The cars rushed passed it, and in the fleeting moment of my passing, I caught it without much wind, simply hanging, lonely at the top of the cliff. It seemed to stand with pride in its subtle gentle flutter. Today again I passed it. It stands without concept of time. The wind pulled it out, and let its stripes and stars wave and flutter, in glory for all it represented, alone at the top of its hill.

3 comments:

  1. And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
    Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
    Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave

    Never Forget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How does one follow this blog...I can't quite figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Anonymous above me - in a RSS feed reader (try http://reader.google.com) click on 'add a feed' and type in http://organizedchaos-reagan.blogspot.com

    then you can follow Reagan's blog and feel all technologically competent.

    -The Resident Geek who trolls around here

    ReplyDelete

say whatever strikes your fancy, but please, respectfully.